AOAC INTERNATIONAL is "Association of Analytical Communities".
The History of AOAC
In 1884, AOAC was founded as the Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), to adopt uniform methods of analysis for fertilizers.
In 1890, AOAC extended it’s service from fertilizers to feed, food and drug.
In 1906, AOAC “Official Methods of Analysis” have been defined as “official” by regulations promulgated for enforcement of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 CFR 2.19), recognized in Title 9 of the USDA-FSIS Code of Federal Regulations, and in some cases by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
In 1927, Sponsorship of the Association passed to FDA which is responsible for regulatory activities.
During 1970s, AOAC has increasingly been attended and accepted by scientists from outside the United States and non-official (non-government) scientists.
In 1979, AOAC became a truly independent organization.
During 1980s, AOAC has extended it’s service from chemical to microbiological and GMOs, from method validation to quality control of laboratories and international laboratory accreditation.
The Association Today
To attain its vision of “worldwide confidence in analytical results,” AOAC INTERNATIONAL has committed to being a proactive, worldwide provider and facilitator in the development, use, and harmonization of validated analytical methods and laboratory quality assurance programs and services. AOAC also serves as the primary resource for timely knowledge exchange, networking, and high-quality laboratory information for its members and customers.